Hey kids! If you’re a filmmaker, animator, or storyboard artist and you don’t know what screen direction is, you might want to read this.
For the record, there are always exceptions to the rule in filmmaking, which is why I pointed out 3 examples here.
I’ve also found that comic books tend to NOT take screen direction as seriously as film does, but I’m still on the fence if this is wise or not. My favorite comics pay close attention to screen direction so as to not confuse the reader.
idk i’ve been struggling finding resources for certain things so i thought i’d pool them in case anyone else needs them too
wigs and wig treatment
Care for a Wig
Wig Styling Walkthrough
Cut Bangs on Wig
Gravity Defying Bangs
Cleaning a Wig
Detangling + Washing
Jessie - Pokemon, building on a wig
Layering a Wig
Long Hair Under Wig
Straighten a Spikey Wig
Sebastian Michaelis - Kuroshitsuji
Sasuke - Naruto
How to Apply Eyeliner
How to Apply Blush
How to Apply Liquid Foundation
Flawless Skin With Makeup
Acne Covering Makeup
Girl / Boy Makeup
6 Secrets I Learned at Makeup Artist School
How to Apply Contour Makeup
Grell Sutcliff Makeup Tutorial
Bishounen (Pretty Boy) Makeup
Fake Facial Hair
Fake Wounds / Scar
Mello Scar Makeup
Scrapes & Bruises
Gouged Eye Makeup
8 Fake Blood Recipes
No-Cook Edible Fake Blood
Make a Temporary Tattoo
How To Conceal Tattoos
Sebastian Contract Symbol - Black Butler
wow i really hope this helped people like it helped me!
[Please take heed: the linked content is not under my control and some of it is slut shamey and body shamey and iirc there may be a few binarist/transphobic comments in the makeup tutorial? So tread lightly and remember to take these with a grain of salt. Amassing knowledge is the point, even if you don’t use it all.]
- Iron your costume! If you’re sewing, iron your fabric before you work with it (and don’t forget to pre-wash it, either).
- If you’re at a con, bring safety pins with you. Bring them with you everywhere. You never know when you might need one. Bring a compact mirror, too.
- Do you need a certain shade of lipstick that’s IMPOSSIBLE to find? Don’t waste a shit ton of money. Mix some eyeshadow or eyeliner or other face-safe pigment into a glob of vaseline until it’s an even consistency. You can store the lipstick in a contacts case! (video tutorial)
- Practice posing! Learn the basic mistakes people make in posing for pictures and figure out what looks best for you. This guide is super helpful, as is this video, and these links:    [this one has the video in it i think]
- Even if your character wears literally no makeup, you probably should! Even if it’s just a little bit of foundation and some eyeliner, it’ll keep you from looking strung out and greasy in pictures. I learned a ton from this tutorial set. This post is also really helpful.
- Wigs are your friends.
- No really, they are. By using your real hair you run a risk of doing actual damage to your body or, like a friend of mine, going back to your agricultural college after a con weekend with fuchsia hair. Wigs can be expensive, but so can hair-care, and you only have to buy and style a wig once (if cared for properly). I buy most of my wigs off of ebay and 95% of my wig experiences have been perfectly fine! On average my wigs have cost me about $15 per, even the extremely long ones! Unless you need a lacefront or something with incredible body (and there are ways around that, too!) there’s no reason to break the bank on a wig.
- (If you DO need a REALLY GOOD WIG for whatever reasons, Arda, MatchWigs, Amphigory, and Cosworx all have good recommendations.)
- But whatever wig you buy, don’t leave it unstyled. This guide is pretty helpful, but the things I suggest investing in are:
- a blowdryer
- a wig head
- got2b glued hair spray (ESSENTIAL!!!)
- scissors (really any old scissors will do. it’s how you use them that’s important!)
- a comb (or an assortment of combs) (these can be bought at the dollar store)
- plastic curlers
- An unstyled wig is obvious and often too long and looks bad. Even if your makeup and clothes are pristine, a bad wig or bad hair can make your cosplay blow hard.
- A wig from Party City is also a bad idea. It’ll cost you about as much as a wig from ebay and it will immediately and eternally look like butt. There are some tricks you can use to battle this but I’m not sure how effective they are.
- If you’re going to wear a wig (or a bald cap), get a wig cap and learn how to use it!
- (I will be filming a wig styling tutorial very soon to show you how to tackle wigcraft and wigzardry if you’re wary of screwing up.)
- Choose a costume you can feel confident wearing! If you’re constantly worried about how much of your butt is hanging out of your microshorts, or if you can’t see where you’re going, it’s going to be way less fun (and possibly dangerous).
I’ve accumulated my supplies over a long period of time! Makeup and wigs and fabric and basically everything about cosplay is expensive, and even the little things add up. Learn where your Goodwills and thrift shops are and shop wisely! If you’re going to buy a wig off of ebay, keep in mind that you’ll need to order it about a month in advance to make sure it gets to you on time.
An amazing tutorial on how to make your very own Sailor Senshi/Fuku Cosplay! Had a hard time finding really descriptive youtube tutorials surprisingly. So had to find step by step images!
If you still need to visually see how to make a pleaded skirt here’s a youtube link to How To Cosplay: Make A Pleated Skirt! Though she doesn’t use actually cloth in the tutorial she uses paper - I think it’s pretty useful.
I thought I’d make a post linking to all of the resources I’ve been using to learn how to make custom MH dolls. If you think of anything I’ve missed or have a link you’d like to add let me know and I’ll update this list!
I take ZERO credit for any resource here.
Designing your Repaint
Factory Paint and Hair Removal
- Michaelisk (I would also recommend soaking the head in hot water occasionally as you’re pulling the hair out to loosen the glue.)
Repainting Full Tutorials
Repainting Semi Tutorials
- Nicholle’s Dreams (This is the most valluable resource here IMO. She answers so many questions about techniques and what kind of tools to use in her videos.)
DIY Knit Cacti Tutorial from Sewing Barefoot here. Perfect present for the person who doesn’t have a green thumb.